Training is a 2-way street between you and your dog! Learning the commands is half the battle! This 6-week series covers attention exercises, sit, down, recall, leave it, drop it, walking politely through doorways, polite greetings, and finishes with an introduction to agility work. Our instructor uses positive reinforcement techniques to build a bond between you and your dog while teaching them to all the basic commands every dog needs to learn!
This basics class will set your dog up to move on to any number of classes: DOG 202- Intermediate, CGC prep class, Agility and sporting classes, and many more!
When & Where
Fridays, March 28 - May 2, 2014, 7:00 - 8:00pm
Saturdays, April 12 - May 17, 2014, 12:30 - 1:30pm
SPCA Tampa Bay - 9099 130th Ave N in Largo
The Ike and Libby Einherst Education Center
$70 for SPCA Tampa Bay Adopters
$90 for Public
Pre-registration required unless you have contacted us via e-mail or phone saying you will pay at door.
Who Can Participate?
1. Dogs that have their rabies vaccination.
2. Dogs should be free of any symptoms of illness.
3. We require that your dog has shown no known aggression to people or animals.
4. Your dog must be at least 10 weeks of age.
5. We welcome all friendly dogs, whether they are altered or not, in our classes. However, female dogs in heat may not come to class.
6. Children and other family members are welcome to attend. Please explain to your children that all dogs are not socialized, friendly, or comfortable around children. They should not approach or pet the other dogs in class unless invited to do so.
Meet Our Instructor
Thamzen Waller is SPCA Tampa Bay's Sniff University Behavior Training Manager and a CGC evaluator with the AKC. Thamzen always knew she wanted a career with animals but did not want to be a Veterinarian. She became a dog trainer while getting her undergraduate degree and realized she really had a talent for understanding pet behavior. After graduating from Arizona State University she decided to obtain her Masters Degree in Animals in Public Policy from Tufts University. She was able to intern at the Tufts Animal Behavior clinic to increase her knowledge and research dog and cat behavior. She lives with her three dogs, Ten the dachshund, Morgan the mini poodle, Peanut Butter the (therapy certified) Chesapeake Bay Retriever and her cat, Si.