|What To Do if You Lose A Pet
||What To Do if You Find A Pet|
- Visit your county government shelter immediately and every 3 day to make a visual inspection. Check for online reporting capabilities.
- File lost pet reports with local animal shelters – most have online systems. Use our form, below.
- Place flyers (include pet photo) around your neighborhood and with local veterinarians, emergency clinics and pet groomers/sitters. Use brightly colored paper to stand out.
- Ask your neighbors and your mailman if he has seen your pet. Paid services send e-alerts to targeted zip codes: FindToto.com, PetHarbor.com
- Place a lost pet ad in your newspaper and read the lost/found section.
- If you have recently moved, check your old neighborhood.
- When you find your pet, notify everyone they can stop looking. Remember shelters charge fees for reclaimed pets.
- File found pet reports with local animal shelters – most have online systems. Check for online reporting capabilities.
- Decide whether you can care for the animal until the owner is located.
- Find out which shelters will care for the animal. (Not all shelters take in healthy lost pets.)
- If the animal is sick/injured contact the emergency vet clinic in your area.
|Your answers will allow staff to add lost/found pet information to our database, and possibly reunite an animal with its owner. Please email animal photos to LostFound@SPCATampaBay.org|